Rio Tinto declares force majeure on some copper cathode contracts, Kennecott smelter shut

Rio Tinto Plc has declared force majeure on some copper cathode contracts after shutting the smelter at its Kennecott mine in the United States following an accident on last week, a spokesperson said on Thursday.
“The work needed to safely restart operations at the smelter is currently being assessed. We are working closely with our customers to minimise any impacts,” the spokesperson said in emailed comments.
Rio Tinto said it had declared force majeure on some contracts for copper cathode and acid after the Kennecott smelter was shut due to a release of molten copper on Sept. 21.
Force majeure is triggered when a company cannot meet its contract obligations due to unforeseen circumstances.
Kennecott, in Utah, produced 82,100 tonnes of refined copper in the first half of 2021.
(By Sonali Paul; Editing by Lincoln Feast)
More News
Rio Tinto amends flight delay policy for Pilbara mine workers, union says
The amendment came after more than 400 workers at the Paraburdoo project signed a majority support petition to initiate bargaining for a collective agreement.
April 04, 2025 | 09:37 am
Malaysia Smelting warns of disrupted tin output after gas blast
The flagship Port Klang smelter can produce 60,000 tonnes of tin metal a year, according to the company.
April 04, 2025 | 09:22 am
{{ commodity.name }}
{{ post.title }}
{{ post.excerpt }}
{{ post.date }}
Comments